Can you imagine what it would feel like to wake up and enter into a mind state that is calm, peaceful, full of positivity, compassion, gratitude and joy? A state that sets the tone for our entire day–boosting our mood, improving productivity and increasing our energy and vitality? Imagine how strong and resilient we’d become to conquer the day’s challenges.
Now consider the way most of us start our day-watching the news and scrolling through our tablets. Early morning is the time of day that our minds are the most open and receptive and we’re consciously filling it with bad news, horrific crimes and tragic stories, and we’re scrolling on our iphone on social media platforms, business news feeds and emails. So our minds are assaulted with stress and work before we’ve even had a cup of coffee. No wonder we leave the house in a stressed out, negative state.
So, we have a choice on whether we want to start our day calm, content, creative, grounded and positive– or, unhappy, overwhelmed, stressed, and worried. The best part is that it takes just 5 minutes to achieve! Scientific studies have shown that it is not the amount of time spent meditating, but it is the consistency of practice that creates benefits in our lives. That is why it is called a meditation practice.
Still convinced that you’re too “busy” in the morning?
Here are 5 benefits of morning meditation:
- Increases health and well-being
- Studies have shown that people who meditate are happier, healthier and more successful than people who don’t meditate.
- Enhances Mood
- Meditation enhances activity in the area of your brain that is associated with positive emotions and experiences. Some studies show that meditation combats depression.
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Meditation gives the brain a break; it helps us detach from the chaos of our lives as we seek shelter in silence and stillness.
- Increases emotional balance
- Meditation helps us control negative thoughts and provides an “anchor” to return to when life tips us off balance. So there’s more room for positivity!
- Decreased critical thinking and increases compassion
- Mindful meditation looks at thoughts from a lens of kindness and curiosity and with an attitude of non judgment. Imagine looking at life through a rosy lens of positivity and kindness? Bye, bye, critical mind and negative self-talk!
- Bonus benefit! Increases quality of sleep
- Meditation activates parts of our brain that controls sleep, anxiety and relaxation. It calms the vagus nerve and activates the parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest) so you sleep deeper and wake refreshed!
5-Minute Morning Meditation tips:
- Find a quiet place either in bed, on a mat or in a chair
- Breathe slowly and deeply, connecting with your breath for 30 seconds
- Listen to a guided meditation or sit still looking at your thoughts, feelings and sensation in your body
- Take on an attitude of curiosity and kindness–and no judgment
- Use your breath as anchor when your minds drifts away form the present moment
- Smile, and slowly start your day
Here is my 5 minute morning meditation to get you started!